Years come and go quickly, leaving businesses searching for ways to maximize their success each and every year. Here are three ways to make sure your business comes out of the blocks strong and maximizes year-after-year success:
1) Plan to compete.
Does your business operate on an eight or nine month year? Take full advantage of the entire business year.
- Step back and explore what’s changing in your industry
- Pinpoint your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, and
- Update your strategic priorities and goals based on that insight
Then, let everyone know how you plan to compete in next year’s race.
2) What it takes to win.
Do departments and teams have their budgets and metrics well before the year begins? Make sure they get them early so they can develop plans for coming out of the blocks strong and winning the race.
- Let them know what results they’re expected to deliver
- Have them develop their plans and actions to achieve those results, and
- Focus each department and team on implementing their plans with precision
Now, hold them accountable for actively contributing to a successful year.
3) End up on the medal stand.
Does your business get off to a slow start every year? Focus everyone on delivering planned or better performance every single month.
- Let employees know how what they do contributes to the win
- Focus all employees on achieving excellence in their jobs, and
- Make sure everyone understands delivering each month’s performance is crucial to being a viable competitor in the race
And, remember, to secure the win, never dig a performance hole you will have to dig out of.
Follow these steps to ensure your business is ‘poised and ready’ to come out of the blocks strong, actively compete, and win the race!